Enlarged View of Saxonville / Mill Area, (132K JPEG)
Saxonville - in the 1640's Framingham's first settler, John Stone, used the waters of
the Sudbury River to power saw and grist mills at the site of Great Falls in an area now called Saxonville.
Origin of the name Saxonville can be traced to the Saxon Factory Company, the original holding company formed and
incorporated between 1822 and 1824 for the purpose of constructing a fabric mill at the falls
Although the name of the factory, and the types of fabric it produced changed several times, the mill was operated for nearly
150 years until it was last used as a mill by by the Roxbury Carpet Company, (1970's).
The mill buildings are now used as office, warehouse, and manufactuing space for several smaller companies.
[ Intro ] [ Index ]
Copyright ©1995-2004 framingham.com, all rights reserved.