CHARTER - QUESTION 1
BALLOT QUESTION AND SUMMARY
The Following question will appear on the April 8, 1997 Town Election ballot.
SHALL FRAMINGHAM APPROVE THE NEW CHARTER RECOMMENDED BY THE CHARTER COMMISSION?
- Full-time Mayor (4 year term) elected by the voters.
Replaces the 5 member Board of Selectmen and the appointed town manager.
- City Council (2 year terms) with 11 members, 3 elected at-large and 8 from districts.
Council replaces the 204 member Town Meeting.
Council has strong budget authority and may veto action of mayor.
- Elected School Committee (4 year terms), with the 7 members having
staggered terms, and Mayor serving as ex officio, non-voting member.
- Elected Library Board (4 year terms), with membership
reduced from 12 to 7 over next four years.
- Planning Board members no longer elected but appointed
by Mayor subject to City Council review.
- Voters have the right to initiative petition and referendum and the
right to recall the Mayor.
IF THIS QUESTION IS ADOPTED, THE FIRST CITY ELECTION WILL BE HELD IN NOVEMBER, 1997