Aerial Views of Framingham


In the fall of 1951, Shopper's World, a futuristic multi-level, indoor, outdoor, regional shopping center opened on the property situated between Route 9, (Worcester Road, east of Ken's Steak House), and Rt. 30, (Cochituate Road).

The domed roof of the Jordan Marsh store on the Rt. 9 end of the mall served as a landmark since the day it was constructed.

Two 675' long two-story wings of retail space ran parallel seperated by a 100 foot wide open air courtyand landscaped with gardens and fountains.

Special attractions held at Shopper's World included annual appearances by Santa --- and his Reindeer, (real live reindeer!), a few visits from "Flipper" (the dolphin - performing in a large tank), and a frequent mix of puppet shows, magicians, bands and other local and special guest performers.   A big screen Cinema was connected by walkway at the northeast end of the mall.

In the 1960's the north end of the mall was enclosed, adding more retail space and further improvements including a grocery store, and enlarging the theatre.

The entire structure was demolished in December of 1994 and replaced by new construction designed to include several large warehouse type stores along the east and west sides of the property and a few smaller stores and and restaurants along the north and south edges.

The cinema was relocated to Flutie Pass, (a connector road which leads from the eastern side of Shoppper's World to The Natick Mall).

The property is still under constuction with recent additions including a Framingham Police Substation, a Bus Depot and Commuter Parking Lot.   A planned "public ammenity", is to be built at a cost of $750,00 - $1,200,000 by the mall's developers for the enjoyment of Framingham residents and guests.

Site of Shopper's World looking southeast, (1950)


The original construction with it's domed anchor store and two-story wings.   The center courtyward was open on the north side.


Further additions in the 1960's capped of the north end of the mall with another large retail store creating the closed 675' x 100' courtyard where concerts and other special events were held.


July 1997

[ Intro ]   [ Index ]

Copyright ©1995-2004, all rights reserved.
Framingham Online Home Page