Framingham Acronyms, Abbreviations (and Dictionary of Local Terminology)
We've prepared this list of terms used in Framingham government documents, at public meeting, in news reports and by locals when speaking to other locals. We've also included common slang terms and their definitions. We hope it will help you understand local lingo in the 'ham!
...think of this as your own personal Framingham Secret Decoder Ring!
- Agricultural Advisory Commission, Town of Framingham
- American with Disabilities Act
- Board Of Health, Town of Framingham
- Board Of Selectmen, Town of Framingham
- Board Of Public Works, Town of Framingham, (now defunct)
- Department of Public Works, Town of Framingham
- Cable Advisory Committee, Town of Framingham
- Citizen's Advisory Committee, Town of Framingham (defunct)
- The Raymond J. Callahan Senior Center
- MA State Park located off Millwood Street in northwest Framingham with over 800 acres of trails, woods and open fields. Great spot for mountain biking, hiking, horseback riding, cross-country skiing and dog walking. Open for daytime use only. For more info visit: MA Dept of Conservation & Recreation
or call (508) 653-9641.
- Capital Budget Committee, Town of Framingham
- Cultural Council, Town of Framingham
- Community Development Block Grant
- the historic "center", (or "centre" as you will)
, of the Town comprising a village green and surrounding historic buildings located just north of the Rt. 9 / Edgell Rd. intersection and used as open common property by the Town.
- Chief Financial Officer, Office of the (Town of Framingham)
- Council on Aging, Town of Framingham
- Conservation Commission, Town of Framingham
- Shopping center located at the intersection of Franklin St and Mt. Wayte Ave
- Chief Financial Officer, Town of Framingham
- The Danforth Museum of Art
- factory complex which formerly housed the Dennison Manufacturing Company, property occupied the block bounded by Howard St., Bishop St., Clinton St. and Grant St.
- intersection of roadway where it passes over railroad tracks at intersection of Rt. 135 / Waverly St. Bishop St. and Beaver St.
(sometimes written ECD, CED) - Economic & Community Development department of the Town of Framingham.
- Economic Development and Industrial Corporation
- English (as a) Second Language
- Framingham Special Education Parent Advisory Council
- Framingham Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee, Town of Framingham
- Framingham Cochituate Rail Trail Committee, Town of Framingham
- Framingham Community Theater
- Framingham Downtown Renaissance
- Framingham High School
- Framingham High School Foundation
- Framingham High School Drama Company
- Finance Committee, Town of Framingham
- Framingham Little Big League
- Fair Labor Standard Act, (re: FPD lawsuit against Town of Framingham)
- Framingham North High School, (obsolete, now merged with FSHS to form FHS)
- Framingham Public Access Corporation, (a.k.a. FPAC-TV)
- Framingham Police Officers Union
- "Framingham Neighbors"
subscription based email list run by late Framingham resident, computer expert and outspoken town political figure Steve Orr, (at the internet address: https://frambors.syslang.net which is no longer online).
- Framingham State College, (now known as FSU)
- Framingham South High School, (obsolete, now merged with FNHS to form FHS)
- Framingham State University, (formerly FSC)
- Framingham United Soccer Club
- Framingham Youth Development Collaborative
- Framingham Youth Football and Cheerleading
- Framingham Youth Lacrosse
- Greater Framingham Community Church
- Geographic Information System, (Technology Services Dept., Town of Framingham)
- dense retail area on Rt. 9 from Rt. 126 to Speen St. in Natick
- dense retail area bounded by Rt. 9, Rt. 30 and Speen St.
- Government Study Committee, Town of Framingham
- local slang term for "Framingham"
- local slang term for a resident of "the ham"
- Human Resources Department, Town of Framingham
- Human Relations Commission, Town of Framingham
- building on Mt. Wayte Ave. formerly used to burn, ("incinerate")
, Framingham's trash. Now used as a drop-off recycle center.
- Joint Labor and Management Committee, Town of Framingham
- triangular area within and around the intersections of Rt 9, Rt. 30 and Rt. 126.
(or K-12) - kindergarten through grade 12, schools
- Local Emergency Planning Committee, Town of Framingham
- License PlateRecognotion System, (used by Framingham Police)
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- Massachusetts Bay Community College
- Massachusetts General Law
- formerly a field where military drills were held, now a low-income housing project managed by the Framingham Housing Authority.
- MetroWest Chamber of Commerce
- MetroWest Center for Independent Living
- MetroWest Daily News
- MetroWest Medical Center
- Metropolitan Water Resource Authority
- MetroWest Regional Transit Authority
- New England Association of Drug Court Professionals
- National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute, (agency which took over Framingham Heart Study Data)
- village within Framingham located in the north-west corner of town around the intersection of Water St., Edmands Rd. and Edgell Rd.
- residential neighborhood in northeast Framingham bounded by Old Connecticut Path, Lake Cochituate and the MassPike (I-90).
- Oaks Neighborhood Association
- Petrini & Associates, P.C., law firm operates Framingham Office of the Town Counsel
- Performing Arts Center (of MetroWest)
- Public Employees Committee
- Payment In Lieu Of Taxes
- development in the northeast (Saxonville) area of Framingham, where the Campanelli brothers built ranch homes after WWII. Also used as common name of shopping center in same area.
- New England Sand & Gravel Company property.
- Planning Board, Town of Framingham
- Park and Recreation Commission, Town of Framingham
- Planned Unit Development, (aka "cluster zoning")
- Standing Committee on Rules, Town of Framingham
- village of Saxonville, located in the central northern part of Framingham.
- Saxonville Village square, located at the intersection of Elm St and Central St.
- Standing Committee on Community Services, Town of Framingham
- Stand Committee on Education, Town of Framingham
- Standing Committee on Public Safety, Town of Framingham
- Standing Committee on Public Works, Town of Framingham
- Standing Committee on Planing & Zoning, Town of Framingham
- Standing Committee on Ways & Means, Town of Framingham
SDR (Task Force)
- Structural Deficit Review Task Force, Town of Framingham, (created by 2010 TM Article 27)
- South Middlesex Opportunity Council
- Technology Advisory Committee, Town of Framingham
- The Education Cooperative, (regional education organization)
- Tax Increment Financing, (see also UCH-TIF)
- Town Meeting, (used to describe the representative body of elected Town Meeting Members, or the event in which the members meet).
- Town Meeting Member, (a person elected to be one of the representatives for a precinct in Framingham).
- Traffic and Roadway Safety Committee, Town of Framingham
- Urban Center Housing Tax Increment Financing
- area around the Downtown Framingham CSX railroad yard known as hangout and "camp" for homeless people, alcoholics, drug addicts and criminals.
- radio station at Framingham State University (FM 91.3)
- West Suburban Chapter Massachusetts Mothers of Twins Association
- radio station, located on Mt. Wayte Ave, (AM 650), Brazilian programming
- Waste Management
[X,Y, and Z]
- Zoning Board of Appeals, Town of Framingham
If you've got suggestions of terms to add to the list, please contact us.