Framingham Online News

Rally 'Round The Flag

Filed under: Around Town by Deb Cleveland at 8:20 pm on June 14, 2009

Fittingly, a U.S. flag carried in Civil War battles by the 13th Mass Regiment, made up of many Framingham men, has been returned to the Edgell Memorial Library where it will be under the supervision of the Framingham History Center.

It has been on display in the Memorial Building's main hallway since the close of Framingham's Tercennial Celebration in 2000.  While many passed by the flag, few knew or realized its historical significance, or value.  Because of the way it was mounted on the wall, it was subject to damage from light and gravity.

Now it is more appropriately displayed and celebrated in its original home since being donated to the Town of Framingham in 1873 by George Brown, whose company provided the funding of the regiment and of the "colors" as battle flags were known.

On this Flag Day, Framingham has its very own historic US flag to celebrate.

For more information about the flag, click here:

http://www.framingham.com/history/300th/civ_flag.htm



Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Home Page
Privacy Policy
Site Map
Advertising Info
Contact Us
Framingham News
Framingham Weather
Framingham Calendar of Events
Framingham Sports
Framingham Organizations
Framingham Cable TV
Framingham Business Directory
Framingham Schools
Framingham History
Framingham Real Estate
Framingham Restaurants
Copyright ©1995-2017 framingham.com, all rights reserved.

Click here to return to framingham.com home page...
---------- [ end of content ] ----------