FRAMINGHAM, MA - Between the towns of Framingham, Wayland and Natick, MA, Lake Cochituate offer many recreational summer activities including swimming, boating and fishing.
Many locals may not realize that just a few hundred yards east of the Framingham/Natick town line, (on Rt. 30), the beach, picnic area, boat launch, snack bar and canoe rental shop are in "Cochituate State Park", which is part of the Massachusetts State Park system and operated by the MA Dept. of Conservation and Recreation, ("DCR").
Throughout the months of July and August, (Tuesdays-Saturdays), the park provides fun, educational, and FREE summer activities for kids and families!
All programs are free and open to the public. Most programs take place at the beach. There is a $5.00 parking fee. Bring water, wear sunscreen/bug spray, dress in layers, and wear good footwear. An adult must accompany children. Rain cancels.
July Activities at Cochituate State Park
TUESDAYS 12:30 – 1:30pm
- It’s Sand, Man! (on the beach) What is sand? What materials make up the substance? Sift sand with the interpreter to learn about our beaches. Games too. Ages 5 – 13.
WEDNESDAYS 10:00 – 11:00am
- Kidleidoscope (at The Nature Center!) Nature based fun for ages 3 – 5. Activities (stories, games, crafts, exploration) and topics rotate weekly.
THURSDAYS 1:00 – 3:00pm
- Water Comes to Boston! (on the beach) Learn the Lake Cochituate history and its role in fresh water in Boston. Help build a model aqueduct. Ages 6 and up. (NOTE: No program on 7/4 and 7/18)
FRIDAYS 1:30– 3:00pm
- Critter of the Day (on the beach) Learn about the wildlife that live in and around the park. Each week will feature a different critter. Ages 6 and up. (NOTE: No program on 7/5)
SATURDAYS 12:30 – 1:30pm
- Sandy Art (on the beach) Meet with the interpreter to learn about wildlife – then make it in the sand! Materials provided. Ages 6 and up. (NOTE: No program on 7/6 and 7/27)
TUES. & SAT. 2:00 – 4:00pm / WEDNESDAYS 1:00 – 4:00pm
- Nature Center Open - Stop by the nature center to explore nature displays, make a craft, read a story, participate in an activity, or sign out a Discovery Pack and explore the park on your own.
Click links below to download printable (PDF) copies of:
- JULY 2013 - Cochituate State Park Program Schedule
- AUGUST 2013 - Cochituate State Park Program Schedule
The MA Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), an agency of the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, oversees 450,000 acres of parks and forests, beaches, bike trails, watersheds, dams, and parkways. The agency’s mission is to protect, promote, and enhance our common wealth of natural, cultural, and recreational resources. To learn more about DCR, facilities, and programs, visit www.mass.gov/dcr.