FRAMINGHAM, MA – Discover Saxonville on the weekend of June 10th and 11th. This year the Friends of Saxonville are inviting you to re-discover the restored Danforth St. Bridge, the Sudbury River, and historic Saxonville as part of National Parks Service’s Regional Riverfest!
On Sunday, June 11, Friends of Saxonville joins in the Celebration with its annual Discover Saxonville event. The day begins with a 7:00 am. Bird Walk along the Carol Getchell Nature Trail hosted by Michele Grzenda of the Framingham Conservation Commission. At 9:00 a canoe and kayak trip leaves Kellogg Street and travels the Sudbury River to Centennial Place. At 10:30 inside the historic Athenaeum, guests may see the presentation “Stormwater Matters”,then at 11 a.m. take a guided walking tour through Saxonville’s Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The walking tour finishes with a lunch party, complete with balloons, hot dogs, chips and drinks...plus free ice cream social, raffle, student art exhibit and storm drain activities from 12-2 upon the newly restored Old Danforth Street Bridge.
At 2:00 pm, there will be an official dedication of a newly installed kiosk, designed by Framingham landscape architect Julie Ferrari and built by Keefe Tech, displaying interpretive panels and offering a water/storage resource for the Nature Trail and planned park surrounding the bridge and trail area.
A twilight fundraiser, “A Sunset Celebration in Saxonville”, featuring music by Late Night Radio, wine, hors d’oevres, student art exhibit and desserts, will take place from 6-8 pm upon the Old Danforth Street Bridge, a unique location where preserved history meets with a nationally recognized “Wild and Scenic” river environment.
Schedule of Events:
Saturday June 10:
- 1-3 p.m. River Kayak Scavenger Hunt
Sunday June 11:
- 7:00 a.m. Bird Watch - Carol Getchell Nature Trail
- 9:00 a.m. Canoe Kayak Trip from Central Street at Kellogg Street
- 10:30 a.m. "Stormwater Matters" presentation at the Athenaeum
- 11:00 a.m. Historic Walking Tour - departs from Athenaeum
- 12:00 - 2:00 p.m. Lunch Party on the Old Danforth Street Bridge, including an Ice Cream Social, Raffle, and Storm Drain Activities
- 2:00 p.m. Dedication of the new Information Kiosk at the bridge
- 6-8 p.m.Twilight Wine & Cheese Fundraiser - Old Danforth Street Bridge
All event proceeds benefit Friends of Saxonville.
For more information and/or for fundraiser tickets ($25/evening) phone Charlene at 508-330-3252 or visit www.saxonville.org