FRAMINGHAM, MA- Roadwork on several major capital improvement projects in town will continue this week, (Monday through Friday, August 1st through August 5th, 2011).
Delays due to traffic and detours around some of the work sites can add to driving times, so motorists should plan accordingly.
The Town of Framingham's Department of Public Works / Highway Division / Capital Projects website offers residents and visitors to Framingham helpful information about current and upcoming construction projects.
You can view up to date traffic alerts, maps of project work sites and traffic detours, and sign up to receive email alerts for all or any of the currently listed projects.
The email traffic alert for the week of August 1st - 5th, 2011 indicates that:
- Sewer construction will restrict vehicular traffic on "A" Street to local traffic only. While construction is in progress; it may be necessary for residents to access their properties, through the opposite intersection of Concord Street and "A" Street depending upon the location of the construction zone. At the end of each work day, normal traffic flow on "A" Street will resume. Access to side streets and Framingham High School will be maintained throughout the construction. Construction activities will take place between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Construction crews continue to install double sewer force main on Concord Street heading south in the northbound lane, crews are currently working near the intersection of Concord Street and Cherry Street. Traffic is restricted to a one lane alternating traffic management plan. Once the work zone is beyond the intersection of Concord Street and Cherry Street, southbound traffic on Concord Street will be detoured from Concord Street to Cherry Street, from Cherry Street to Campello Road, from Campello Road back onto Concord Street. Access to properties and side streets will be maintained throughout construction. Construction activities will take place daily between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Deep gravity sewer main will continue to be installed on Concord Street, from the intersection of Cochituate Road (Route 30) progressing north towards Old Connecticut Path. Traffic on Route 30 east has been detoured to Beacon Street, from Beacon Street to Fairbanks Street, from Fairbanks Street to Concord Street north, from Concord Street north back onto Route 30 east. All businesses are accessible from Concord Street and Route 30 east between Beacon Street and Concord Street north. Construction activities will take place daily between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Trench restoration work on Concord Street between Prindiville Avenue and Arthur Street is scheduled to take place the week of August 1st; temporary daily detours are expected in this area.
- The Danforth Street Bridge is closed, awaiting construction. This project is under the control of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, (MassDOT), and is part of an $816M statewide project to rebuild or restore 135 bridges in the Commonwealth. Officially, the project is listed as "Project #603694: Framingham - Bridge Reconstruction, F-07-063, Danforth Street over the Sudbury River", and is described as follows: "This project proposes to replace the existing superstructure on the Danforth Street bridge over the Sudbury River with a two-span continuous superstructure. The superstructure shall be replaced with hot-dip galvanized steel stringers. The bridge will be closed during construction and a detour will be established." The contract for replacement of the bridge was awarded to New England Infrastructure, Inc.,13 Brent Drive, Hudson, MA 01749, (Contact: Todd Pietrasiak, President, phone: 978-293-3535). The bidding for replacement of the bridge was advertised on October 25th, 2010, bids were opened in late December of 2010, and the contract was awarded on January 5th, 2011. The estimated completion date for the work is listed as the 3rd week in October of 2011. According to online information, work is listed as starting the day after the contract was awarded, (January 6, 2011). New England Infrastructure's bid for the contact was just under $1.6M -- some $700k under the State's estimated cost of $2.36M. (Additional info on MassDOT website, see link at bottom of page).
- Sewer main work on Edgell Road will require traffic pattern changes. Sewer main construction crossing Edgell Road at Auburn Street is tentatively scheduled to begin on Thursday, August 4th. This work will necessitate changing traffic patterns as the work proceeds across Edgell Road and into the intersection of Auburn Street. During the hours of the construction operation, Edgell Road will be closed at Auburn Street and traffic will be detoured from Edgell Road onto Oak Street, from Oak Street to Vernon Street around the common back onto Edgell Road. During non-construction hours, the traffic patter shall return to the current southbound detour re-routing southbound traffic from Edgell Road to Vernon Street, from Vernon Street to Oak Street, and from Oak Street back onto Edgell Road. Northbound traffic will resume the normal traffic pattern on Edgell Road. As the work proceeds into the intersection of Auburn Street, the traffic pattern during construction hours will resume its current southbound detour and northbound traffic will continue on Edgell Road using the southbound lane, west of the work zone. During this segment of work, Auburn Street will be closed at Edgell Road. Access to Auburn Street, Auburn Street Extension, and Beulah Street will be from Worcester Road only. Edgell Road traffic wishing to access Auburn Street will be re-routed to Central Street, from Central Street to Kellogg Street, from Kellogg Street to Prospect Street and from Prospect Street to Worcester Road during construction hours, with normal traffic patterns resuming during non-construction hours. Construction activities will take place daily between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- The Fountain Street Bridge will be closed during construction. It is anticipated that the bridge will be closed until late September of 2011. Traffic will be detoured to the west, over the Winter Street Bridge and the Fountain Street Bridge in Ashland. (Additional info on MassDOT website, see link at bottom of page).
- Deep gravity sewer main installation will continue on Gorman Road. Gorman Road will be open to local traffic only between Concord Street and Grant Street Extension during construction hours, normal traffic patterns will resume at the close of each work day. Construction activities will take place daily between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Roadway reconstruction activities are scheduled to begin on State Street with roadway reclamation the week of August 1st. State Street will be restricted to local traffic only during construction operations. Construction activities will take place daily between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Police detail officers will be present to ensure safe vehicular and pedestrian travel. If you encounter any problems due to this work, contact the Capital Construction Hotline at (508) 532-6040.
Additional info can be found at the Town of Framingham Dept. of Public Works/Capital Projects website www.BuildingFramingham.com or for state highway projects, bridge replacement work, etc, at the MassDOT website www.massdot.state.ma.us